Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mmm mmm chicken!

Sometime in the last year in browsing cooking recipes I picked up the idea of roasting a whole chicken. Every time I do I realize simple, efficient, healthy, cheap, and yummy it is. All I do is buy a whole chicken from the grocery which is usually $4, but can be found cheaper when on sale. If I freeze it, I take it out the day before I am going to make it to defrost. Rinse it, pat it dry with paper towel, remove the stuff (neck, heart, livers, etc.) inside (save), lay it on a baking sheet (with tinfoil over it), butter and season it (salt, pepper, garlic salt, celery salt, thyme, onion powder, etc.), and bake it in the oven. Last night I put it in and went downstairs to ride the trainer. Usually takes about 1-1.5 hours to fully cook. I came upstairs to a warm house and great smells. I let it sit for a while to prevent it from drying out and then comes the tricky part.

I watch this video every time if I am serving the chicken for others, otherwise I will just pick all the chicken off the bone if I know I am going to use it for a casserole or lunch meat.

I set aside the chicken I am going to use for dinner that night and put the rest in a tupperware to use throughout the week for sandwiches, soups, casseroles, or just chicken. Anything that is left including the uncooked insides I saved, spare bones, fat, skin, and the chicken love juice left on the tinfoil I put in a separate container, cool, and freeze. I use this later to make chicken stock which I will post up once I make my next batch.

You will notice all my cooking will circle around simplicity, efficiency, healthy, cheap, and deliciousness. I tend to look up a couple recipes take what I like from each and wing it, but there are tons of recipes out there for roasted chicken. I forgot to get a picture of my delicious creation from last night, but I am sure your mouth is already watering.

No comments:

Post a Comment